“Every man who thinks at all, must know that home is the foundation head, the inspiration, the foundation and the main support, not only of all social virtue but of all motives to human progress, and that no people can prosper, or amount to much, unless they have a home, or the hope of a home” ~Frederick Douglass
The Housing Council’s First Time Homebuyer Education and Counseling program will-provide you with the foundation needed to enable you to attain, maintain and sustain homeownership. Our staff, with more than 30 years experience, takes the holistic approach when working with future homeowners.
- One-On-One Counseling – Families receive in-depth one-on-one counseling to determine what individual steps need to be taken to make owning a home a reality. Credit, savings and income stability is looked at. A Homeownership Plan is devised which is followed by both the family and counselor.
- Credit Restoration – A certified Financial Health Counselor will work with you, if needed, to enhance your awareness of the importance of credit scores as they relate to your home purchase. Assistance with budgeting, savings throughout the credit restoration process enables you to see an increase in your credit scores. One of the main obstacles for many is past credit issues when applying for a mortgage. Our program tackles this upfront assisting you with increasing your credit awareness and scores.
- Monroe County Grant Money – Assistance with Down Payment and Closing costs is available to first time home buyers looking to purchase in Monroe County. Access to other financial assistance programs is available to program participants. FTHB Monroe County Grant Outreach Flyer
- Home Buyer Education – Easy to understand steps that you, the first time homebuyer will go through to approach purchasing your home. Choosing a Realtor, Attorney, Lender, Home Inspector, shopping for your home, affordability, continued budgeting, repairs, energy efficiency, and closing.
- Other Resources – Assistance with enrollment into the First Home Club™ The Housing Council staff will assist you with determining how to reach your saving goal by enrolling you in this $4 to $1 matched savings program. For every $1 you save, the Federal Home Loan Bank of New York will match it with $4 up to a maximum of $7500.
- Please call 585-546-3700 ext 3035 to sign up for an orientation session and class. Please see schedules below.
- Email email@example.com for more information or if you are unable to attend an orientation session. You may also call 585-546-3700 if you are unable to attend an orientation session.
When accessing our services if you need assistance due to a language barrier, mobility impairments, visual or hearing impairments or other disabilities please let us know in advance so we can provide the necessary accommodations.