Federal, state and local Fair Housing laws define the following protected classes: Race or color; National Origin; Religion; Sex; Familial Status; Marital Status; Disability; Age; Sexual Orientation; Military Status; victims of domestic or dating violence.
Prohibited Actions by Housing Providers
Federal, state and local fair housing laws PROHIBIT the following actions by landlords, property managers, maintenance staff, real estate agents and insurance companies involved in the sale or rental of housing when those actions are based on a person’s membership in a protected class:
- Refusal to rent or sell a house or apartment
- Denial that a house or apartment is available when it is
- Setting different conditions or privileges for sale or rental of real property
- Providing different services or facilities
- Advertising or making any statement that indicates a preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, or other protected class
Contact us to learn more about special protections for individuals with a disability and active members of the U. S. military.
Click to download a copy of the Monroe County 2005 Executive Summary of Analysis of Impediment Report (733.31 Kb)
When accessing our services if you need assistance due to a language barrier, mobility impairments, visual or hearing impairments or other disabilities please let us know in advance so we can provide the necessary accommodations.